PORTUGAL RESIDENCE PROGRAM
- Government type: Unitary semi-presidential constitutional republic
- Capital: Lisboa
- Languages: Portuguese
- Total area: 92.391 km²
- Population: 10.825.309
- Time Zone: UTC +1
- GDP: 288,6 billion USD (2015)
- Currency: EURO
One of Europe’s oldest countries, Portugal boasts a rich historical and architectural heritage. Luminosity, radiance and culture beam through the whitewashed villages and lush vineyards of this country positioned on the blissfully elegant shores of the Atlantic ocean.
Portugal boasts a rich and diverse culture, Mediterranean climate, and a safe and stable setting ideal for raising families, conducting business or travelling. Investors find many opportunities in Portugal’s secure and fast-developing market, including the following:
- Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal.
- Live and work in Portugal.
- Visa-free travel within the Schengen member states.
- Permanent residency or citizenship of Portugal after five years residency.
- Dependents are spouse or partner, children under 25 years old and parents.
Portugal’s Golden Resident Permit Program is offered in accordance with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Department of Consular Affairs and the Portuguese Trade and Investment Agency (AICEP).
Aimed at attracting foreign direct investments to the country, the program yields a residency permit in Portugal to non-EU investors who fulfill one of the investment options below and meet the following requirements:
- Investment funds originate from abroad.
- Hold no criminal record.
- The main applicant’s property is not frozen within the boundaries of the EU.
- Pay application and processing fees where applicable.
- Enter Portugal for the first time on a valid Schengen visa.
- Meet or exceed the minimum stay requirements. (Seven days for the first year, 14 days for subsequent two-year periods.)
- Property Investment Options
In July 2015, through Act 63/2015 and Regulatory Decree 15-A/2015, the required investment options were revised and new ones added. Investors can now choose from the following:
- Applicants may purchase property valued at €500,000 or more, or
- Applicants may purchase property valued at €350,000 or more for properties more than 30 years old or located in urban regeneration areas designated for refurbishing, or
- Purchase of property fitting any of the above requirements with 20% reduction on the minimum amount of investment, if purchased on a low density population area (€400,000.00 or €280,000.00).
- Capital Investment: Must create 10 or more jobs
- Applicants may invest a minimum of €350,000 in research activities.
- Applicants may invest a minimum of €250,000 in the arts or in the reconstruction or refurbishment of national heritage projects.
- Applicants may invest a minimum of €500,000 for shares in investment funds or venture capital.