CANADA IMMIGRATION PROGRAM
- Government: Federal parliamentary
- Capital: Ottawa
- Official languages: English, French
- Total area: 3,855,100 sq mi
- Population: 34,834,841
- Time zone: UTC−3,5 to −8; Summer : UTC−2,5 to −7
- GDP: $1.971 trillion (2020)
- Currency: CAD
Looking for a steadily top-rated country ranked among the best in the world in terms of quality of life, education, civil liberties, government transparency and economic freedom? Canada is not only a stable contender in all those categories, it is also diverse and rich in society, history, and nature. For many it is the country that for years shaped the immigrant investor map.
As of November 1st, 2019, the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program has been suspended. A revised program may launch in 2020.
Canada is one of the most popular destinations for investor immigrants wishing to relocate. It consistently ranks high on major comparative surveys of industrialized nations. Other of the country’s key benefits include the following:
- G8 and NAFTA members.
- Unspoiled environment with strict environmental controls.
- World-class health care system, one of the best in the world.
- Excellent education system, one of the most respected in the world.
- Cultural, ethnic and religious tolerance entrenched in the Constitution.
- One of the safest countries to live in, offering a high quality of life.
- One of the most valued passports for international travel.
The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program was established in 1986. The program is designed to allow business people and their families to enter the province of Quebec as permanent residents on an unconditional basis. In return, funding made available through the program helps provide subsidies in support of small and medium businesses in Quebec. The program has undergone significant transformation in the past couple of years, addressing the application process.
To qualify for residency or citizenship, applicants must fulfill one of the investment options below in addition to meeting the following criteria:
- Demonstrate business experience.
- Have a net worth of at least CA$2 million.
- Provide documents supporting the source and origin of invested funds.
- Settle in the province of Quebec.
1. Full Investment
Applicants choosing this option must invest a minimum of CA$1,200,000 in a government-guaranteed investment and hold it for a period of five years. At the end of this period, the guaranteed full amount is returned to the investor without accrued interest. The program provides for full investment or financing through authorized financial institutions.
2. Financed Investment
Under this option, investors pay a reduced amount that is used to finance a CA$1,200,000 closed 62-month term loan from a chartered bank. This loan is initiated and repaid at no further cost and without additional guarantees from the applicant.
Investors and their family members who have lived in Canada for three out of the four years (1,095 days) preceding the application, have adequate knowledge of English and/or French, have no criminal record, and have acquired knowledge of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, as well as an understanding of Canada’s history, values, institutions, and symbols are eligible to apply for citizenship.
FEDERAL START-UP VISA PROGRAM
Express Entry – French Speaking Skilled Workers (Permanent Residence)
Federal Start-Up Visa (SUV) Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that:
- are innovative
- can create jobs for Canadians
- can compete on a global scale
In order to qualify, you need to:
- Have a Letter of Support from a designated angel investor group, venture capital fund or business incubator
- Meet the ownership requirementsfor a qualifying business
- Get scores of at least Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5in all four categories for English.
Designated organizations are business groups that are approved to invest in or support possible start-ups through the Start-up Visa Program.
If an organization chooses to support your business idea, it’ll give you a Letter of Support.
Angel Investor’s start-up cost structure for each applicant is:
- $75,000 CAD Angel fund membership fee
- $20,000 CAD Angel Investor Group processing fee
- $70,000 CAD Capital Injection for 10% share ownership in the proposed Start-Up business
The Angel Investor will then be investing $75,000 CAD to your start-up business to be established in Canada, become a partner, provide guidance and expertise and will support every applicant to get immigration. The current processing time for start-up applications take up to 12-16 months for a decision.
A start-up business proposal can include up to 4 participants (each at minimum 10% equity ownership) other than the founder.
Link for reference